A director identification number (director ID) is a unique identifier you will keep forever. It will help to prevent the use of false or fraudulent director identities.

Who needs a director ID

You need a director ID if you’re an eligible officer of:

  • a company, registered Australian body, or registered foreign company under the Corporations Act 2001 (Corporations Act)
  • an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander corporation registered under the Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006 (CATSI Act).

An eligible officer is a person who is appointed as either:

  • a director
  • an alternate director who is acting in that capacity.

You will only ever need one director ID. You don’t have to apply for another one if you become a director of other companies. You must apply for your own director ID to verify your identity.

People who do not need a director ID

You don't need a director ID if you're either:

  • a company secretary but not a director
  • acting as an external administrator of a company
  • running a business as a sole trader or partnership
  • referred to as a ‘director’ in your job title but have not been appointed as a director under the Corporations Act or the CATSI Act
  • a director of a registered charity with an organisation type that is not registered with ASIC or ORIC to operate throughout Australia
  • an officer of an unincorporated association, cooperative or incorporated association established under state or territory legislation, unless the organisation is also a registered Australian body.

State Based Incorporated Associations do not need a director ID unless they have an ARBN (this is not an ABN) or if they are a Public Company Limited by Guarantee or Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander corporation (registered under the CATSI Act).

Do you have or do you need a Australian Registerable Body Number (ARBN)

Some organisations, like associations, can only conduct business in their ‘home’ state or territory, these include associations formed under these Act’s: 

  • Associations Incorporation Reform Act 2012 (Vic) 
  • Associations Incorporation Act 1985 (SA) 
  • Associations Incorporation Act 2015 (WA) 
  • Associations Incorporation Act 2009 (NSW) 
  • Associations Incorporation Act 1981 (QLD) 
  • Associations Incorporations Act 1964 (TAS) 
  • Associations Act 2003 (NT) 
  • Associations Incorporations Act 1991 (ACT) 

In order to business across the border these organisations must become Australian Registrable Bodies and be issued an Australian Registrable Body Number (ARBN) by the Australian Securities & Investments Commission (ASIC). If you deal interstate and do not have one you need to register. If you register for an ARBN, your board members need to also apply for a Director Identification Number. 

Apply for your director ID

You can apply for a director ID now.

When you need to apply is determined by when you were first appointed, and under which Act.

If you plan to become a director, you can apply before you’re appointed.

Apply now

Find out more information here

  • If you are unsure if you have a ARBN you can check here
  • If you would like more details on the ARBN you can see it here
  • You can apply for an ARBN through Form 401 here